Semalt Tips On How To Use And Manage Your Course Wiki
Being a single repository, Wiki has mostly contributed to the success of education sector in many countries. Wikis give teachers and student an opportunity to edit, access, and share collaborative information regarding education courses. Every course has undertaken comprises of a wiki that is quickly set and modified to suit a variety of courses available in the education sector.
Max Bell, the Semalt expert, explains that course wiki plays an integral role towards improving the relationship between students and teachers. Scholars have been advocating for the use of course wiki at schools as it helps in smooth running of the curriculum. Here are the typical activities executed by a course wiki:
- Sharing and provision of frequently asked questions (FAQs), and collection of new ones
- Sharing guidelines and instructions at the beginning of a course
- Providing and analyzing installation guidelines for relevant software's
- Gathering suggestions to improve course details
The practice of collecting, sharing, and editing wiki articles primarily helps in the compilation of information in the repository. The edited report serves as a source of human knowledge to other staff members and students. The exercise of sharing and analyzing FAQs promotes teamwork and the development of future course projects.
Hints on how to manage your Course Wiki
Managing your course wiki entails total commitment and dedication. Here are tips on how to handle your wiki efficiently:
- Indicate and define different roles to be executed by different people. For instance, when it comes to deleting wiki articles, let that be the role of course staff but not students.
- Indicate the parts that require students' collaboration to avoid confusion. Students should be given the role of editing and create wiki articles.
- Be precise regarding the purpose the parts of your course wiki. If some of your course wiki's parts are meant for disseminating data and information, restrict your students from accessing the elements.
Course staff executes different tasks and roles on a course wiki. Here are the typical functions are undertaken by course staff to manage a wiki:
- Restoring and saving deleted Wiki
When maintaining your course wiki, avoid purging an article that can be used for future references. After removing material, a visible link remains where it was created. To restore a Wiki Article, click on 'Restore' button displayed on your screen.
- Deleting a Wiki Article
Course members can only delete wiki articles with the permission to edit the article. To delete an article from your course Wiki, navigate the article to be deleted and click on 'Edit' button. Scroll down and click on 'Delete Article' and select 'Yes' to confirm deletion of an article.
- Controlling the access to a Course Wiki
Users can control access to a course wiki by writing permissions settings of an article or by locking the articles available. To control the access, open on 'Settings' and click on 'Advanced Settings.' Modify the access of a course Wiki by allowing public teams to access the wiki.
- Seeding and locking a Wiki Article
To get valid results out of your course Wiki, create some articles to represent your course outline. Provide links to your central piece and FAQs for each section to be covered.